The Ural State Law University named after V.F. Yakovlev (in abbreviated form – «USLU») is one of the prestigious higher educational centers in the Russian Federation. In 2018, USLU celebrated its 100th anniversary. It is wide recognized leader in the sphere of legal education: it prepares highly qualified experts for government bodies, courts, Prosecution Office, law enforcement organs, tax inspection, local authorities, and other state and private organizations.
The history of the USLU dates back to the beginning of the 20th century. By the resolution of the Central Executive Committee dated 20.04.1931, the Siberian Institute of Soviet Law was established in Irkutsk. The Institute had three chairs: the Chair of Socio-economic and Political Studies, the Chair of Soviet Economic Law and the Chair of Criminal Law and Procedure. During the first academic year only 56 students were enrolled and teaching staff included only 15 professors.
In 1934 by the resolution of Council of People’s Commissars dated 01.08.1934 the Siberian Institute of Soviet was moved from Irkutsk to Sverdlovsk. The course of studies increased from three to four years. Finally, in 1937, the Siberian Institute of Soviet Law received the new name - the Sverdlovsk Law Institute (SLI), and under this name the Institute was recognized as one of the leading centers of legal education and science in the USSR. Already in those days, a lot of eminent scientists in the sphere of jurisprudence worked in the Institute, for example, professors Durdenevski V.N., Kechekyan S.F., Landau B.A., Cherepakhin B.B., Yudelson K.S., Yushkov S.V. and others.
The basis of the Ural scientific school of law was formed during the prewar time. With the development of SLI, new chairs were established, and those that had already existed were expanded. On the eve of the war, special study rooms and laboratories were built. By 1941, the teaching staff included 29 people, with 3 professors and 15 associate professors, and the number of students reached 325. Although difficult war time hindered the development, it didn’t stop it. The number of professors increased almost twice, the number of chairs increased to 8. Eminent lawyers from Moscow, Leningrad, Kharkov, Minsk worked in the Institute.
1960-1970s were the years of progressive development in the sphere of scientific and educational staff training, the years of fundamental changes in research work, improvement of educational process, resource base increase. The traditions of the Ural law school were carried out and strengthened by talented scholars, such as S.S.Alekseev, O.A.Krasavchikov, M.I.Kovalev, V.E.Chirkin, G.V.Ignatenko, V.F.Yakovlev, V.S.Yakushev, A.F.Cherdantsev, V.M.Korelskiy, L.Y.Drapkin, Y.K.Osipov, V.P.Volozhanin. Owing to efforts of these and many other professors of the Institute, great work has been done in training and research, textbooks publishing, post-graduates and education.
By its 50th anniversary, the Sverdlovsk Law Institute became the biggest scientific and educational center in Russia, training specialists in law. On June 11, 1981 by the decision of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Institute was awarded the Order of Red Banner for the achievements in education and research.
In the late 1980s - early 1990s the SLI, like many others in the country, experienced dramatic changes: SLI was renamed to the Ural State Law Academy. Then, in April 2014, the Ural State Law Academy was renamed to the Ural State Law University.
The «Ural State Law University» was renamed the «Ural State Law University named after V.F. Yakovlev» in 2022.
During the years of existence of the Sverdlovsk Law Institute – the Ural State Law University named after V.F. Yakovlev, more than 60 thousand highly qualified specialists were trained here. Graduates of the SLI-USLU contributed greatly to the development of state and legal construction, work of the judiciary and court system, advocacy and the notary, banking, insurance, investment activities, legal science and education. Many graduates worked in governmental structures.